Top Ten Reasons to Intern With A Small Company
10. You get to wear many hats
9. You are put in charge of tasks that actually help the company
8. By the end of the summer, your co-workers respect your opinion
7. By the end of the summer, you will know whether or not you want to pursue a career in the field
6. You have direct interaction with your bosses
5. You learn more about your strengths and weaknesses
4. You get to apply knowledge from your coursework
3. You get to beef up your resume from all of the experience
2. You become more confident of and focused on your career goals
…And the NUMBER ONE reason why you should intern with a small company?…(DRUM ROLL)
1. You don’t have to get ANYONE coffee!
My internship with Bluetext, a small digital marketing firm in DC, was more than I could have hoped for. I started interning with them in February. From February until August I was an integral part in the complete re-branding/website design for one of their biggest clients. I learned industry jargon, went to client pitches, commercial shoots, brainstorming meetings, and was responsible for extending their social media ecosystem.
My bosses and co-workers asked a lot from me and I was happy to exceed their expectations. Also, I owe my boss a huge debt of gratitude. He took the time to check in with me and make sure I was doing work that I was interested in. As a career switcher, this summer gave me the opportunity to shorten my learning curve and feel confident in my pursuit of a great job…all thanks to Bluetext, the small company who proves size isn’t everything.
Profit & Purpose